Saturday 15 August 2015

DJ Neptune said female fans always respect him

Popular Disc Jockey, DJ Neptune tells Saturday Beats about his career
Not much has been heard from you recently, what is DJ Neptune up to?
I am doing a lot of things at the same time. For instance, I am working on an album which will be released before the end of this year. Already, I have released a song with Davido. I am also working on an online radio show which is about ninety per cent complete.


Why did you decide to become a DJ?
I have always had the mindset to become an entertainer. When I was younger, I aspired to become a musician but my father discouraged me from delving into music. Along the line, I lost my father and I became free to pursue the career of my dreams. I decided to become a DJ after attending a party where I saw a DJ perform live and that was in 1999.

If your dad was still alive do you think you would have become a DJ?
My father wanted me to be an engineer. I would have obliged him but I believe that along the line, I would have still found myself in the entertainment industry. I don’t see myself doing anything aside from music. My father’s decision would not have stopped me from doing what I want to do. I would like to use this opportunity to advise people to study and also pursue their desire. If you have a talent, try and nurture the talent because at the end of the day, you never can tell what will bring food on your table.

Many people believe DJ is not a serious career, what do you have to say that?
If you check the entertainment industry, after production from the studio, the next person is the DJ because they help you to reach out to a larger number of people. There are lots of DJs in Nigeria and when you have them all playing your songs, you will obviously go far in your career. Also, as a DJ, if you have the capability of making your own music why not do it? It is another way of stamping your name in the sands of time. Thank God I made the move before Dagrin died, if I had delayed, the song we did together would have never been done. The mix is considered as one of the best hip-hop collaboration in the Nigerian entertainment industry. They are things you cannot do as an artiste but DJs can do them.
How many of such music mix tapes do you have under your belt?
I have released a lot of mix tapes. I released one reggae dance mix tape about two weeks ago. If you go online, I have over 50 mixes. Mixing is one of DJ’s cultures.

How has the journey been so far?
I became a professional DJ in 2001 and I studied under a DJ called DJ Douglas based in the UK. In 2004, I had the opportunity to go on radio and I played for Raypower FM. I freelanced with them for a year before I became a member of staff in 2005. That is where my journey began and that is where I got my breakthrough.

Are you still with Raypower FM?
No, I left there in 2010.

Why did you leave?
Nothing happened, I just felt the name was getting bigger and I needed to venture into other things. Then again, radio was taking much of my time. Right now, I am working on a radio show. It is going to be a radio show that will give you the experience of being in the club while in the comfort of your home.

If you were not a DJ, what would you have been?
If I was not a DJ, I don’t think there would have been anything else I would have been interested in. I actually studied Mass Communication in school, but I have always dreamt of being in the entertainment industry.

Some people are of the opinion that when a DJ features an artiste on his song, the DJ does nothing, is it true?
I can only speak for myself and I don’t think such perception is true. As for me, I also know how to do music production. Eighty per cent of the time I make a song, I sit down with the producer to discuss what I want. Most times, I have the idea of what the chorus should be. I still give credit to everybody because as a DJ, you have the talent to sing while the music producers also have their own talent too. We sit down and share ideas and that is my own input in production.

What challenges have you faced so far?
I had my low moment at the early stage when I started. Then after a show, I would go home with nothing but because of the love I had for the job, I continued. At some point, I had my doubts if this venture would be profitable in the future. I faced a lot of challenges when I started but here I am now.

What was growing up like?
I am the only boy, I have two sisters but nobody knows about that. I lost one of my sisters a few weeks ago.
I remember how my dad would always sit me down and make me understand that whatever is worth doing is worth doing well. He taught me that I can always fight for what is mine without depending on anyone.

Who do you look up to in the industry?
I look up to a lot of people and number one on my list is DJ Jimmy Jatt. He is a family man and he has been in the industry for over 25 years. All through the years, he has been relevant and he is still waxing stronger. He is very innovative. People celebrate me and tell me that I have made it but I don’t feel so. I feel I still have a long way to go. I want to be known all over the whole world.

How does your wife cope knowing that you are at events most nights?
My wife is an understandable woman and I spend a lot of time with my family when I am not working. Sometimes, we go on vacation to keep the romance alive. It is not all about work, I always find time for my family.

How did you meet your wife?
I met my wife in America while I was on an official trip, the rest is now history.

How do you handle overzealous female fans?
I love them back for loving me but I always draw the line. Luckily for me, they always respect me.

Contact us for Advert Placement:
BBM PIN: 556E312A
WHATSAPP: 08099821118
TWITTER HANDLE: @naijatalkative
EMAIL: naijatalkative@gmail.com
Share this with your friends.

No comments: