Sunday 14 December 2014

I’ll act nude if pay is right - Liz Da Silva


Nollywood actress, Liz Da Silva, has lost count of the number of films she has featured in since she started acting about 10 years ago. In a chat with EDWIN USOBOH, the light-skinned actress and mother of one opened up on her passion, acting and her Ankara show coming up  

You are popularly known as Liz Da Silva, What are your real names? My real names are Elizabeth Omowunmi Tekovi Da Silva.  

When did you join the movie industry? I ventured into the industry in 2004 through Iyabo Ojo; she has been very helpful to me as a friend.  

Did you go through formal theatre training? Yes, I got trained by Ray Eyiwunmi.  

Who inspired you into the movie world? I got inspired into the theatre world from my secondary school days when we used to do school drama.  

What was the title of the first movie you featured in and what was your first experience like? I can’t remember the title of my first movie, but I can remember that I played only one scene in it. Mention some of the movies you have featured in. Omidan by Iyabo Ojo, Omo Ni kara by Adewunmi Fatai, Eyin Oju Eledumare by Bayo Tijani to mention a few. 10 years on, how many movies have you featured? I have lost count.

Have you produced any movie? Yes, I’ve produced few movies. My first movie was in 2007. It is titled, Ore l’ore Nwoto. Others include Desire, Itanje, Mama Insurance, Alebu kan, Mawo’badan and Tasere which is the most recent movie.  

You have an event coming up soon; could you tell us about it? The project I’m having at hand now is titled ‘Ankara Day’s slated for December 27, 2014 at Times Square Event Centre, Ikeja, Lagos.  

What is the mission of ‘Ankara Day?’ The concept behind ‘Ankara Day’ is to promote unity of Africans through our culture, assist the less privileged through donations made on ‘Ankara Day’ yearly; organise fashion pageants; develop youths positive behavior toward our cultural costumes, elevate and appreciate our culture through our way of life such as our mode of dressings and to keep our bond as actors. The event will showcase choreography, stage play (pantomime), Ewi, panegyric music, fashion parade, dance troupe and musical performance. Popular actress, Toyin Aimakhu, will anchor the event, while Wasiu Alabi Pasuma, among others, will entertain the guests.  

Could you tell us some of the challenges you have faced in the last 10 years in the industry? I’ve encountered so many challenges both positive and negative which is normal in everything you do in life. If you want to be successful in life, you have to go through challenges.  

What’s the joy of being married as an actress? The joy of being married as a woman is so wonderful, having a happy home with my good family is all I have ever wanted, I thank God I am enjoying that now. Would you have a joint account with your husband? I will if he will be the one putting money in the account, if not, I can’t have a joint account with him.  

As a married actress, are you selective of the roles you play? Either married or not, as an actress, you should be picky of some roles. Being happily married as an actress, what advice will you give to your colleagues who do not have a stable home or are divorced? Why being particular about the movie industry? Divorce occurs in every profession. I can only advice every woman to be patient with their husband and always be prayerful.  

How supportive is your husband of your career? He is hundred per cent supportive of me and my work. If you have the opportunity, what would you like to change about yourself? Lolz…If it’s possible for me to still be tall, I would have loved to be taller than this.  

Don’t you feel threatened by some new faces coming into the industry? Why should I? I’m sure when I got into the industry, my senior colleagues didn’t feel threatened! The sky is so wide for every bird to fly.  

As an actress, would you play every role that comes your way? I can play every role as a professional but there are some roles I won’t do that our culture does not permit. Let us be realistic now.  

As a married actress, if you are paid a huge sum to act nude in a movie, will you accept the tempting offer? If I confirm the money is paid into my account, I will act nude.  

Won’t you consider your husband before you accept the offer? I’m sure my husband will be happy about it if he confirmed my account is loaded.

Don’t you feel people will criticise you? They should keep criticising while I keep spending the #1billion largesse from the role. You dress provocatively, does your husband complain? No, he doesn’t.

What can make you cry? I could cry for joy, if I’m excited about some things. I’m also an emotional person.  

Who is your role model in the industry? My role model is Bukky Wright.  

Some of your colleagues are delving into politics; do you see yourself doing the same in the future?
No, I can’t do it, but I’m in support of those delving into it wholeheartedly. What will be your reaction if you are paired with an actor with mouth odour to kiss in a romantic role? I won’t kiss him because I won’t be comfortable. I will tell my director about it, he has to tell him to use a mouthwash.  

How do you relax when you are not on location? I’m always relaxing in the comfort of my home. Where is your favourite place for vacation? Ghana, Togo, Sierra Leone, South Africa etc.  

Have you experienced sexual harassment in the industry? I’ve not experienced it, but it’s normal for a man and a woman to admire each other if they wish, and later start dating. Describe your style. My style is simple. Simplicity is my key word in fashion.  

What is your passion? My passion in life is to be successful! What are favourite perfumes and watches? I use any perfume that smells nice and my favorite wristwatch is Blings.  

What’s your beauty routine? I drink a lot of water and I don’t wear makeup to bed.

What are the pains and gains of being a celebrity? My pains are in restrictions to do things like taking Okada and my gains are recognition and being independent. Who is your favourite designer? My favourite designer is Tippy Couture.  

What’s your greatest fear about life? I am scared of death. How would you describe yourself? I am a cool, God fearing and honest person.  

What message do you have for your fans? I love and appreciate them all. All I’m asking from them is their support and prayers. I promise not to disappoint them.
Share this with your friends.

No comments: