Sunday 9 August 2015

Comedian— People think I’m gay

Emmanuel Edunjobi, also known as Emma Oh My God, the brain behind the popular comedy skit, There is God O! He talks about his foray into comedy

Your style of comedy is different, what influenced it?
I have always loved music and I like to make people laugh. I looked for a way to infuse music into my jokes. I used to do stand-up comedy, but it is difficult to tell original jokes in Nigeria. I decided to change my style in 2007, while I was in school. I told a joke, and my girlfriend who just got back from Abuja told me she had heard the joke somewhere else and asked me to stop stealing people’s jokes. I decided that since I could play musical instruments and loved music too, I could use that to make it difficult for people to steal my work.


Does that mean you are no longer scared of having your jokes stolen?
With the way I tell my jokes, I am no longer scared of having them stolen. It would be really obvious if someone did that.

Since you have a flair for music, would you add music to your list of craft?
Before I started my popular comedy skits, I was into music but it was known to only a few people. I decided to focus on the comedy because the skits went viral and I gained more popularity with it.

How did you develop the love for entertainment?
I could say it started from childhood. I was the kind of child that used to stay at home because my parents did not let me go out often. While at home, I found ways to keep myself busy, like finding instruments to make music with. Also at that period, my mum when through a lot and I always tried to make her laugh using my music. I realised that I had the talent. When I gained admission to the university, I became the most sought-after comedian in school.

What course did you study in school?
I studied Electrical and Electronics Engineering at Covenant University, Ota and I graduated in 2010. I have yet to collect my certificate from the school. I discovered my passion while I was a student at the university, but the major challenge I had was that I missed classes a couple of times.

Do you have an interest in Nollywood as well?
Hopefully, I intend to join Nollywood soon. I am starting my own television series too, but I have been approached by a lot of Nollywood producers that want me to come on their set.

Have you ever been chided by the celebrities you mimic in your skits?
I do not really mimic them, but I make a parody of their songs. I have yet to get into trouble with any of them. Rather, I get commended for my works and artistes now want me to do a parody of their songs as a marketing strategy. My parody makes their songs more popular and it encourages me.

Does your style give you an edge over other comedians?
I believe everybody is good in his or her own way. As long as you are real and your jokes are original, the sky is your limit. The sky is big enough for everyone.

How do you generate the jokes?
I could get inspiration for the jokes while I am busy with something else. I only sit and think of ideas for the jokes when I want to start a comedy series.

Your skit on Dame Patience Jonathan, made you popular…
The major skit that made me popular was my version of Davido’s Aye. But, I was the first person that made a skit on Dame Patience Jonathan when the Chibok schoolgirls got missing. People already knew me before then, but it made me more popular.

Were you not sceptical about mimicking a First Lady?
The skit was done in a diplomatic way; it was meant to be hilarious and not to spite her. Also, I tried not to attach it to the missing Chibok schoolgirls. I am always very diplomatic about doing comedy on sensitive issues.

Was your family in support of your decision to do comedy?
My mum has always supported me. She bought me my first set of instruments in school. She also loved that I did well in school and encouraged me in my craft. She was more proud whenever she stepped out and people told her about my jokes.

How would you describe your growing up years?
Growing up was meant to be tough, but my mother tried to make life easier for us. She provided everything we had in life and I do not know if things would have been better if I had a dad. Generally, it was adventurous, although my mum went through a lot and it was a tough time for her.

You seem to leave out your dad in the picture…
My dad had another wife and never really lived with us. Although, I heard he was always proud of me and always talked about me, but we were not really close. He died in 2002.

How do you handle your female fans?
I am used to being liked by girls. I used to get a lot of attention in school, but I have been getting more of it lately and it is normal. I do not have any difficulty handling them.

Would you consider yourself a womaniser?
No, I am not. Although to an extent, it would be awkward if I do not get any attention from ladies. I do not take undue advantage of it. Some of the people who like me have been useful to me, mutually. The more you are liked by your fans, the better for you.

You were a cross-dresser in one of your videos, have you been wooed by gays?
The major cross-dressing I did was in Davido’s Aye but the others were mild. However, I have been hit on by gays at one point or the other. Sometimes, people look at me and they think I am gay. The major encounter I had was a chat I had on Blakberry Messenger. The guy got my pin, added me and started chatting with me as he would with a girl. Initially, I thought he was a girl because he kept calling me pet names. When I became curious, I asked him to send his picture and I discovered he was a mature guy. I told him off and deleted him. I also posted it on my Instagram wall as well. I am not trying to judge gays, but I am very homophobic.

How do you handle fame?
I do not really think I am famous yet, but it still has its negative and positive sides. People always want to take pictures with me, elderly people pray for me and I have gotten access to some CEOs of major companies. But sometimes, some people could give negative feedback that could tear you down, especially on social media but I have learnt to deal with it.

Do you have any plans for a baby mama?
My plans are to get married and have a child. I do not want to have a child outside wedlock. I am not judging anyone because one can get carried away at any time, but I try to have self-control.

Are you saying that marriage is in the pipeline?
I am not saying there is a plan for marriage at the moment. There would be someone very soon though.

Do you have any workout routine?
I do not work out because I am always too busy, but I jog once in a while.

How would you consider your style?
I am not very fashion-conscious. I wear what suits me. I have stylists and designers that clothe me when I have an event to attend. I am not always found wanting in the style department.



Contact us for Advert Placement:
BBM PIN: 556E312A
WHATSAPP: 08099821118
TWITTER HANDLE: @naijatalkative
EMAIL: naijatalkative@gmail.com
Share this with your friends.

No comments: